.

.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

testing...

I think every teacher hates this time of year. Not because it's so close to summer that we can taste it and we still have a few more weeks to ago, but because it's almost state testing time. We have all pushed their little brains to THINK with reason and logic, to THINK creatively on why and how, to THINK passionately to make a difference, and to use best judgement.

BUT their THINKING is measured by a standardized test...that's creative. Now, don't get me wrong. I do think that there should be some type of accountability for students, teachers, and districts that is given statewide...I just hate that these results are pushed and educators seem to start teaching for a test. Everyone harps over these scores because our district, our school, my classroom, and my babies are labeled. We are broken down as labeled individuals of success. I'd hate to know that I was judged by my third grade scores.

I think my favorite part is that after I have taught my babies to THINK with reason and logic, to THINK creatively and passionately, and to use judgement....we give them MCT2 practice test that are "thrown out" questions from the state. Gotta practice. And some of these practice test questions aren't a piece of cake! I bet if I took a couple of these questions and asked you the answer....you'd get some of them wrong, and are you eight? are you successful? do you know your label of success?

Click below to test your knowledge as an eight year-old. Scroll down to the "Green Street" poem (pg 7). It's pretty short, and won't take to much of your time.
http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/acad/osa/MCT2/new_practice/Grade_3_LA_PT.pdf

Here are the answers.

Our school has been having a competition between classes for 3rd grade- 5th grade. We call it the MCT2 Challenge. Basically, each grade level is given 12 MCT2 questions which consist of 9 reading/writing and 4 math. The students take the test on Thursday mornings, and scores are averaged together. Each teacher is given a breakdown of the results for her classroom. For example, the percentage of correct answers for each questions.
The class with the highest average, per grade level, is rewarded on Friday morning with a 10 minute dance off in the hall. The kids LOVE it, but my class has been winning. I don't know if they'd LOVE it if we lost. Then the students in every classroom are rewarded individually if they got 7 or more correct out of the 12. Two weeks ago, these individuals got to eat cookies and drink juice with our Principal. This past week that got to have a 10 minute dance in the hall.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!! SO VERY FRUSTRATING!